Which should we keep, which should we merge, and why?
I agree that the current tags are confusing. I don't think we should just merge them though. It seems like there are a couple distinct categories represented.
- weaknesses would cover problems with Bitcoin that are not security related.
Is Bitcoin inherently dependent on electricity?
- security would cover problems with the Bitcoin (and altcoins!) client itself, and the Bitcoin protocol.
What can an attacker with 51% of hash power do?
- wallet-security would cover how to keep your wallet secure (i.e. encryption)
How secure is an encrypted wallet?
- Questions about how secure specific services are would be closed.
How is Coinbase any different than Mt Gox?
- Some of those questions wouldn't have any of those tags.
Do any of the Bitcoin exchanges implement trading curbs?
What is the role of bitcoin wallets?
Edit: It looks like nobody has any objections, so I'm going to go ahead and start retagging.
- Retag attack, ~65
- Look at security questions, possibly retag, ~291
- Look at weaknesses questions, possibly retag, ~30
- Check security tag wiki
- Check weaknesses tag wiki