Since this site started, one of the most frequent topics in our meta was this site's scope in regard to other cryptocurrencies. In fact, the site had originally been proposed as "Bitcoin and other cryptocurrencies" in Area51, but then changed to just "Bitcoin" when the beta started.
Since we will be getting a new design sometime after graduation, I would like to discuss whether we want to take that as an opportunity to make the site's title inclusive of other cryptocurrencies. Previous discussion appears to indicate that people consider such topics to be on-topic:
- Are questions about other crypto-currencies on-topic?
- Should this SE also cover questions about Ripple?
- This site should be renamed
- Have the FAQ explicitly allow other crypto-currencies / bitcoin forks
- What should our FAQ contain? Part 1 - "What kind of questions can I ask here?"
- Are we willing to embrace other cryptocurrencies?
- What can we do to better support questions about other cryptocurrencies?
- Suggestion: Closed-source cryptocurrencies should be off topic
- Why is it bitcoin.SE instead of cryptocurrencies.SE
- Updating and Improving our Tour/About site
This topic has also come up in regard in Area51 with other stackexchange proposals:
- Area51 Bitcoin Proposal: Enlarge the scope to “cryptocurrency”, not just Bitcoin.
- Area51: Problem with the Crypocurrency community
- Area51 Ethereum Proposal: Ethereum questions are welcome on Bitcoin.Stackexchange
There also were at least two attempts to start an encompassing "cryptocurrency" stackexchange which at were closed or didn't succeed at least partially because bitcoin.stackexchange.com considers other cryptocurrencies to be on-topic.
To be clear, the site's URL should stay the same. Changing the URL would break all links to our site and cause confusion to infrequent users. This post intends to discuss the name shown in the title and titlebar.
Here are three other examples from the Stackexchange network: