I solve problems in the world
Problem solving must be applied at all levels.
"Are we building the product right?" must be accompanied by
"Are we building the right product?"
by developing software
with tradeoffs designed to make the software a good fit for the overall system (the system of people, procedures & equipment).
with the passionate use of skill
Speaking and writing skills support collaboration. Analytical and problem solving skills focus technical skills. All of these I have cultivated over a 14 year professional career.
fed by an appetite for construction.
I do this because I love it, because it seduces and compels me. Software development is littered with important tasks that are neither exciting nor fun. I don't avoid or phone-in this work, I lean into it and embrace the hard work because I love the craft and I love the results. It seems contradictory for something to be fed by an appetite. But it is true.
I mainly do this using Java and web technologies.
Also, I wrote the Addison-Wesley book on Amazon SimpleDB.
New York, NY
Member for 8 years, 11 months
3 profile views
Last seen Oct 11 '11 at 14:09
- Stack Overflow 7.2k 7.2k 55 gold badges2424 silver badges2323 bronze badges
- Bitcoin 867 867 11 gold badge77 silver badges1111 bronze badges
- Web Applications 606 606 22 gold badges66 silver badges99 bronze badges
- Software Engineering 302 302 11 silver badge66 bronze badges
- Area 51 151 151 22 bronze badges
- View network profile
Top network posts
- 269 Why am I getting a NoClassDefFoundError in Java?
- 203 Is there an Eclipse line-width marker?
- 37 What are the bandwidth requirements of a mining rig?
- 25 Is SimpleDB similar to MongoDB? Are they both key/value type databases?
- 24 Where can I see my total Amazon S3 usage?
- 24 Why don't the timestamps in the block chain always increase?
- 20 Amazon SimpleDB Woes: Implementing counter attributes
- View more network posts →